STEEL TILES – IS IT WORTH BUYING?
Metal roof tiles are one of the most popular roofing materials due to their attractive price and universal application – they can be used to cover any type of roof. Before buying, it is worth consulting with a professional who will perform the installation, because the tiles differ in color, shape and type of coatings. Why is it worth covering the roof with this product?
We export steel tiles
STEEL TILE AS A WAY TO COVER A ROOF ECONOMICALLY
A decade ago, cement and ceramic tiles were a very popular roofing solution. For several years, metal roof tiles have become more and more popular – on average, they account for about 30% of all roofing materials. A great example is Pruszyński metal tile.
The types of metal roof tiles differ from each other in properties, durability and price. For many investors, this last factor is the most important.
WHAT IS WORTH KNOWING ABOUT STEEL TILES?
The metal roof tile is made of galvanized, powder-coated steel sheets, with a thickness of 0.4 to 1.23 mm. The roofing sheet is covered with one of four types of coatings:
- standard and matt polyester – the most popular and oldest type of coating. Sheet metal covered with standard polyester has the widest range of colors. Matt tile has limited coloration and a higher price than polyester;
- plastisol – has greater strength than polyester, but the sheet metal is therefore thicker, which may make it difficult to assemble;
- pural – resistant to mechanical damage and weather conditions. Pural metal roof tiles are expensive and are only available in a few colors;
- PVDF – this type of coating is thick (approx. 25 µm) and durable. PVDF is more expensive and more resistant than pural. It is even resistant to air pollution.
Roofing with metal tiles is used when the angle of inclination is at least 9°. The elements are laid on battens adapted to the module of the metal roofing tile selected by the investor.
Available types of metal roof tiles:
- in sheets;
Modular roof tiles are sold in sheets of 700 x 1200 mm. Low weight and classic dimensions make it easy to transport and assemble. This type of material will work on any type of roof.
The sheet metal tiles are larger than the modular ones – they can be up to several meters long and wide. Most often it is made to individual order – it is adjusted to the size and shape of the roof. It is mainly used for single-pitch and gable roofs.
In turn, the self-supporting metal roof tile is equipped with battens located in the upper part. They are mounted to special assembly profiles – there is no need to use wooden battens.
STANDING SEAM SOLUTION
Standing seam sheet metal has been known in the construction industry for centuries. It was used mainly for public or religious buildings. Seam sheet is very popular in Scandinavian countries. Contrary to the regular metal roof tile, it does not have any embossing, but has vertical seams ensuring the tightness of the cover.
THE CORE IS AN IMPORTANT ELEMENT OF EVERY METAL SHEET
An important element of this type of roofing is the core. It is most often made of steel. According to the applicable standards, the core must have a minimum thickness of 0.4 mm. Most often, however, it is 0.5 mm. It is very often covered with a layer of zinc on both sides. Currently, metal roof tiles with an aluminum core are available on the market. They are produced by most manufacturers, e.g. blachprofil 2.
STEEL TILE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
Metal tile is a solution that has many advantages and some disadvantages. The main advantages of this solution:
- a wide range of colors – they can be easily matched to the style of the building and the color of the facade;
- high durability – high-quality metal roof tiles can last up to 50 years;
- effective protection against adverse external factors – sheet metal coated with pural and PVDF coatings are resistant to changing weather conditions and mechanical damage;
- easy installation – self-supporting and modular metal roof tiles are very easy to install;
- attractive price – metal roof tiles are cheaper than ceramic tiles.
Despite so many advantages, metal roof tiles also have two disadvantages. The first is the lack of soundproofing – you can hear the raindrops hitting the roof. The second one is less durability compared to ceramic or concrete tiles.
INSTALLATION OF STEEL TILES
Installation of metal roof tiles depends on their format and the shape of the roof. Most of the installation work for each type of tile is done in the same way, but may vary at some stages.
- Making a grid from battens and counter-battens. It can be made of impregnated wood or special steel battens (they are galvanized). There should be an insulating layer under the rafters.
- To fix the sheets, you need to use the so-called farmer screws with special sealing washers.
- It is most convenient to start with the eaves. Additionally, it is very important to lay the tiles precisely – this ensures the tightness of the roof.
- Side flashing, i.e. assembly of the drop gutter.
THE PRICES FOR STEEL ROOF
The cost of choosing the metal tiles varies and depends on several factors:
- the shape of the roof – the less complicated the shape, the cheaper;
- sheet thickness and grade;
- type of coating used;
- the cost of accessories – they can be as much as 20% of the price of the metal roofing tile;
- labor cost – it depends on the region and the size of the sheets.
Steel tiles are a cheap and durable roofing material. The prices of this material range from PLN 30 to PLN 120 per m2. When choosing a metal tile, it is worth paying attention to the coating and the thickness of the core. The higher both parameters are, the better the quality of the metal roofing tile is. Some manufacturers provide up to 50 years of warranty on metal tiles.
We export steel tiles
Contact us and tell us about your needs. Then we make you an offer.
If our offer meets your expectations and this is exactly what you need, you place an order.
We need a moment to complete the products from your order. We keep your building materials in our warehouse, for which we do not charge any fee.
After completing the order, we secure it and prepare it for transport. After securing, it is loaded onto a container that will be delivered to you by our trusted carrier.
We will inform you when the order has passed customs clearance and has reached its destination. Write to us at email@example.com for details.